Menno House is a 19th-century townhouse in the Gramercy Park neighborhood of Manhattan, just east of Second Avenue on 19th Street. We are surrounded by an inviting neighborhood of townhouses, restaurants and shops and are within walking distance of Soho, Greenwich Village, Chelsea and Midtown.
The house was bought by Mennonites—members of a Historic Peace Church—in 1957 to house conscientious objectors to war while they completed their alternative government service. Since 1977, it has been a residence for church volunteers, students and employees of local non-profits, and has provided affordable short-term accommodations for visitors to New York City and others in need of temporary lodging.
In the late eighties, house residents helped give birth to a local congregation, Manhattan Mennonite Fellowship (MMF). That church, in turn, purchased the building in 1997. Besides maintaining the resident and guest rooms, MMF uses Menno House regularly for office and meeting space. The 1,000-volume Peace and Anabaptist Library is located on the second floor.